Books are more than a words

Oct 5, 2015

ARC Review: Dreamland by Robert L. Anderson


Dreamland
Source: eARC provided by Publisher. Thank you!
My Rating: 3 stars.
Summary:
Odea Donahue has been able to travel through people’s dreams since she was six years old. Her mother taught her the three rules of walking: Never interfere. Never be seen. Never walk the same person’s dream more than once. Dea has never questioned her mother, not about the rules, not about the clocks or the mirrors, not about moving from place to place to be one step ahead of the unseen monsters that Dea’s mother is certain are right behind them.
Then a mysterious new boy, Connor, comes to town and Dea finally starts to feel normal. As Connor breaks down the walls that she’s had up for so long, he gets closer to learning her secret. For the first time she wonders if that’s so bad. But when Dea breaks the rules, the boundary between worlds begins to deteriorate. How can she know what’s real and what’s not?


***

It took me forever to read this book. It wasn’t the book’s fault, of course, but mine for being so busy.
I think sometimes the time it takes you to read a book ends up affecting your feeling about it.
As I was emotionally detached of Dreamland, I have to say it was an ‘enjoyable’ read.
The premise of this book was amazing, Dea, the main character is a girl with the ability to enter someone else’s dreams. Her mother is like her, so Dea grew up with many rules, moving for place to place without an explanation, but aware of her abilities.

The beginning of this book promised amazing things until Connor, the enigmatic new boy appeared. It felt like a cliché.
Soon, Dea’s world started moving around Connor.

If I don’t count the romance, which I didn’t like, Robert L. Anderson created a fantastic and terrific “dream world”.
Those dreams and nightmares were marvelous and somehow felt real.
Dreamland was a fast-passed read with a lot of mysteries and action.
Even if some things felt cliché, the paranormal twists (if I can call it that way), were amazing, even unexpected.
The characters were well done and they’re dynamics and conversations felt natural.

Overall, even if I didn’t feel connection with the book and didn’t find anything remarkable, Dreamland is a good read. 


2

2 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this one for some time. And I agree, sometimes taking too long to read a book can cause a sort of detachment when you finally get the chance to read it, but I'm glad you liked some things (the world building and overall concept). Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it chance. Time was my problem but maybe you enjoy it!

      Delete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a link to your blog so I can go say hello :)