Books are more than a words

Jan 19, 2015

Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang



Falling Into Place
Author: Amy Zhang
My Rating: 5 stars.
Summary:
Why? Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? Vividly told by an unexpected and surprising narrator, this heartbreaking and nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High’s most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force—Liz didn’t understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn’t understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect? Amy Zhang’s haunting and universal story will appeal to fans of Lauren Oliver, Gayle Forman, and Jay Asher.


*****
My Review


“No one sees how her hands shake as she closes the magazine, lays it down gingerly as though afraid that her trembling will start an earth quake, and make the entire world crumble.”

I'm madly in love with the writing of this book.
I started reading the eARC last year, but I couldn't make it on time, so I stopped. But I knew I have to finish it. I knew I'd love it. So, I gave it another chance and I'm so happy I did because while this book isn't for everybody, it was just perfect for me.
I hated Liz’s actions. I hated the ugly thing she did to her enemies, to her friends and to herself. And at the same time, I loved her, I wanted to fix her because I could see how truly broken she was.

“She finally figure out that she, Liz Emerson, was the equal and opposite reaction. She was the consequence.”

Here you are: a book with terrible human beings, a book with a mean MC that didn't do anything to change except for stop existing, a book with broken people making mistake after mistake.
But a wonderful thing called "Amy's writing" made this story unforgettable and fascinating.

Amy uses science in her writing in a way so smart that you don’t stop to think it is science, you see it as fact. Every quote, description, paragraph is breathtaking. I wanted to bookmark the whole book.

Even though the plot is not “lineal” the unexpected narrator makes it fast-paced and addictive. You go from present to past and a in between time. It tells the stories behind Liz’s friends, the people they bullied and the moments before Liz Emerson crashed her car.

Falling Into Place is unlike everything I read before. It’s a must read. 


1

1 comment:

  1. Glad you loved this! It wasn't for me, but I will definitely read more by this author!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a link to your blog so I can go say hello :)