Books are more than a words

Jan 30, 2012

Book Review: The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

Title: The Pledge
Pages: 323
Goodreads Avg Rating: 3.92
Summary from Goodreads.
In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.
Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.
 


My thoughts.
First of all I have to say this is one of my favorites books, but not one of my top favorites.

I loved Derting's writing, it was simple and beautiful, at least for me (I have to admit, the english isn't my mother tonge, so I don't know if it is a really good writing)...
By the way, the character was well created, I like Brook, more than Charlie I think she was stronger than her.
Max, as the "lovely boy" was adorable.

I don't know if I like the three different POV's thanks to it, I can know a little more about the character, but I'm still not-feeling-good in this case.
I loved that this time there were no love triangles.
I liked the plot, it was a little epic.
The villain, Queen Sabara, was bad enought to be remembered.

I think the next book will get better, despite this is a very good start.

The cover: Really good, even though I can't picture Charlie like that.
The ending: Simple, but good, it was a "close ending" so, I'm waiting to be surprised in the next book.

The characters: They were good, but can be better.

In the end, The pledge is a book I can recommend to everyone.


0

0 POVs:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a link to your blog so I can go say hello :)