Books are more than a words

Jul 4, 2016

This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp


This Is Where It Ends
by Marieke Nijkamp
Source: bought
My rating: 4.5 stars
Summary:
10:00 a.m. The principal of Opportunity High School finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve. 
10:02 a.m. The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class. 
10:03 a.m. The auditorium doors won't open. 
10:05 a.m. Someone starts shooting.
Told from four different perspectives over the span of fifty-four harrowing minutes, terror reigns as one student’s calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.


****

I would love to say that this book is beautiful. But it wasn’t. It was beautifully written, but the plot is terrific, is traumatic. It’s so painful and real.
And it was completely different from everything I read before.
This It Where It Ends is about a shooting, about the shooter and about the victims.
When I started reading this book I didn’t know what to expect because it had many POVs, and it made me a little confused. It was a shock when, after a few chapters, I found myself in the middle of the madness. 

This is Where it Ends was so full of action once the shooting started, and even though it was heartbreaking and scary, it also was fast paced and intriguing.
I don’t know what to say about this book because this is such a hard topic, but everything inside this book was so well done that I kinda felt all the feelings: Sadness, terror, anger, fear, love. I even felt pity for Tyler, the shooter, when in real life I’ve never felt such a thing for these kinds of people.

The plot was really well done, but there wasn’t a big character development because almost the whole book takes place in the auditorium of the school. So, I understand and I still like them.
The only thing I didn’t like is that I was really confused with the time ALL THE TIME. Like, I kept wondering “how many minutes passed?” and I kept wondering “WHERE THE HELL IS THE POLICE!?”
I don’t know much about shootings, but I don’t think the police would wait so long.
Anyway, This is Where it Ends is a great, deep story. It’s a wonderful read. I can’t say anymore about it, but I’m sure that if you give it a chance, you will love it!

 

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm so glad you liked this one. This is a book I've seen such mixed reviews on. So I'm not sure yet if I'll give it a go or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful review!!
    I saw some pretty bad reviews for this one, especially on GR, but your review makes me think it can't be bad. You actually made it sound like a good, even great read!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a link to your blog so I can go say hello :)