Books are more than a words

Apr 1, 2016

ARC Review: The Epidemic by Suzanne Young


The Epidemic
Series: The Program 0.6
Author: Suzanne Young
Source: eARC provided by Publisher
Summary:
In a world before The Program…
Quinlan McKee has spent her life acting as other people. She was a closer—a person hired to play the role of the recently deceased in order to give their families closure. Through this process, Quinn learned to read people and situations, even losing a bit of herself to do so. But she couldn’t have guessed how her last case would bring down her entire world.
The only person Quinn trusts is Deacon, her best friend and the love of her life. Except Deacon’s been keeping secrets of his one, so Quinn must set out alone to find Arthur Pritchard, the doctor who’s been trying to control her life. The journey brings Quinn to Arthur’s daughter, Virginia, who tells Quinn the truth about Pritchard’s motives. The former closer will start to see that she is the first step in fighting an epidemic.
But Quinlan doesn’t want to be a cure. And with all the lies surrounding her, she realizes she has no one left to rely on but herself—even if she doesn’t know who that is anymore.


****

The Epidemic by Suzanne Young is the prequel to The Program (The Program #1) and the sequel to The Remedy (The Program #0.5).
While in the first book of these prequels we knew about the world before The Program, The Remedy was basically the story of Quinn, as a closer. There wasn’t much about the suicide epidemic; it was centered in the closers’ world and Quinn’s fight for identity.

In this second prequel, after a few chocking revelations, Quinn is on the run.
In the beginning it felt a little like The Treatment, when Sloane and James are also on the run, but after a few pages I realized it was completely different. Quinn wasn’t as passive as Sloane; she was a dynamic character, always looking for answers.
I don’t think The Program lacked of answers when it came to the world-building, but I always wanted to know more about the suicide epidemic and how it started. I’m so glad to say that I have now all the answers I was looking for.
The Epidemic has both: an amazing conclusion to Quinn’s journey, and a perfect view of the world before The Program and the suicide epidemic.
I have to say, once again, that Suzanne Young has an amazing ability to write grief. She makes readers connect emotionally with her characters and The Epidemic was just another proof of that.
While I already knew Quinn so well from the previous book, in this book we have a deeper view of Deacon and Aaron, plus a few closers that made their way to my heart easily.

You see, I really enjoyed The Epidemic; I was over the moon when the publisher approved my review request.  I reached THE END with a big smile on my face. But why not five stars then?  Because while I understood the hell Quinn went through, I found her character a little contradictory. There were moments I couldn’t quite catch up with her emotions and decisions, particularly when it was about Deacon, and that really annoyed me. I wish her relationship with him was easier to follow.

Aside from that, The Epidemic is a wonderful read! Suzanne Young’s writing is addictive and the plot was perfectly done.
If you are a fan of The Program duology, then you need to read its prequels soon! 


2

2 comments:

  1. So happy you were approved for this one and even happier that you loved it! I've not read a single Young book (which is surprising, she has so many!), but I'm sure that'll change in the future. Fantastic review, Lis!

    Have a lovely weekend. :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't read The Program yet, but it is definitely on my to read list. I'm so glad that you liked this. I hope you have a great week. :D

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a link to your blog so I can go say hello :)