Books are more than a words

Jul 18, 2014

Book review: The Rain by Virginia Bergin



The Rain
Author: Virginia Bergin
Pages: 384
My rating: 3 stars
Summary:
One minute sixteen-year-old Ruby Morris is having her first proper snog with Caspar McCloud in a hot tub, and the next she’s being bundled inside the house, dripping wet, cold and in her underwear. Not cool. As she and Caspar shiver in the kitchen, it starts to rain. They turn on the radio to hear panicked voices – ‘It’s in the rain . . . it’s in the rain . . . ' That was two weeks ago, and now Ruby is totally alone. People weren’t prepared for the rain, got caught out in it, didn’t realize that you couldn’t drink water from the taps either. Even a drip of rain would infect your blood, and eat you from the inside out. Ruby knows she has to get to London to find her dad, but she just doesn’t know where to start . . . After rescuing all the neighbourhood dogs, Ruby sets off on a journey that will take her the length of the country – surviving in the only way she knows how.

 

 I'm really sad to say this, but this book was disappointing.
As the dystopian big fan I am, I was so excited for the premise of The Rain. The title, the cover, the synopsis, everything screamed to me.
But this is a book where the main character ruined it all.
The Rain had a good world-building, the concept of the story was amazing and strong but then the author ruined her chance by creating a child-ish main character and self centered.
I will not go into details because I DNF this book when i was 75%, then I asked about the ending and I'm glad I did not waste my time.
Just think about this: In a world with only a few survivors and where the rain can kill you, how can a main character be worried just about jewelry and boys?
Ruby's voice was annoying and immature. If I almost finished reading it, it was because i was expecting her to grow up. But I could not stand her.
She was unrealistic, not even when people died closer to her I feel a bit of sympathy because of the way she acted.

I give this book 3 stars because the concept was good, and there were some sad part that I was glad to read. If there is going to be a sequel I will not be reading it but I hope the author makes Ruby change.


2

2 comments:

  1. Ruby sounds so shallow... not interested. I don't like people like that, so I wouldn't want to read of a character like that. :/ Thanks for the review!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, the concept sounded interesting and I really like dystopians, but a main character like that would annoy me to NO END! Thanks for the honest review and warning, Lis!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a link to your blog so I can go say hello :)