Books are more than a words

Apr 21, 2014

ARC Review: The Last Best Kiss by Claire LaZebnik

 
The Last Best Kiss
Author:
Pages: 320
Buying links: Amazon/ B&N/ TBD
My Rating: 4 Stars 
Add to GoodReads
Summary:
Anna Eliot is tired of worrying about what other people think. After all, that was how she lost the only guy she ever really liked, Finn Westbrook. 
Now, three years after she broke his heart, the one who got away is back in her life. 
All Anna wants is a chance to relive their last kiss again (and again and again). But Finn obviously hasn’t forgotten how she treated him, and he’s made it clear he has no interest in having anything to do with her. Anna keeps trying to persuade herself that she doesn’t care about Finn either, but even though they’ve both changed since they first met, deep down she knows he’s the guy for her. Now if only she can get him to believe that, too....


 


When I requested this book it was because I saw it was re-telling of Persuasion by Jane Austen.
I haven’t read Persuasion, but I read, and loved For darkness shows the stars by Diana Peterfreund, which is also a re-telling of that book.
I have no way of comparing them because they were utterly different, but both romances had the same essence.

This book is told from the POV of Anna Eliot, her voice is light and the narration comes naturally and entertaining.
What I enjoyed the most about this book is that The Last Best Kiss is realistic and… natural. It’s a cute read and will have you with butterflies in your stomach every time you find yourself expecting for the next encounter between the Anna and Finn.
This is the story about a girl who felt embarrassed of the boy she liked because he was nerd-y and not so well looking, something that can happen every moment in your life. Because all of us feel the pressure of the “what will they say?”
This is a story about guilt, regret, and second chances.

Finn still hasn’t forgotten what happened between him and Anna, but I loved that he didn’t turn into a cruel and bad boy. Finn’s still cute and brilliant. Even though he turned into a hottie, Finn was still nerdy... I really appreciate that!

Personally I feel the first part of this book was better than the second. The tension between Anna and Finn was better, stronger, and I found myself holding my breath for the moment when they finally were alone.
The second part was great as well, respecting the main characters, but I was a little annoyed about Anna’s friends, especially Lily.
The plot was good, it was entertaining, it was funny.
This is the first book I read by Claire LaZebnik and I really enjoyed it. The romance was cute and the characters well created (even those I didn’t like).
The family drama was also well written. Maybe because I don’t read much contemporary I found this book original and swoon-worthy (I say maybe because, who knows? Maybe those topics were used a lot of times).

Overall, like I said I think this book was original and I have to highlight the fact The Last Best Kiss wasn’t just about romance, it was about the importance of family, education, and second chances.
This won’t be my last book from Claire LaZebnik.

*Thank you to HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC for review*
4

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I too adored For Darkness Shows the Stars and love Austen retellings, so I guess I'll just have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell if it was the perfect retelling, but it was a great one. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Persuasion is one of my least favorite Jane Austen books (I think that Mansfield Park is my very least favorite) but, like you, I really enjoyed FDSTS, so I may have to try this!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a link to your blog so I can go say hello :)