Books are more than a words

Mar 21, 2013

Book review: Requiem by Lauren Oliver


Requiem (Delirium #3)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Pages:
Goodreads AVG Rating:
Summary: Add here
They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.
But we are still here.
And there are more of us every day.
Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.
After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.
Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.
Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.
But we have chosen a different road.
And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.
We are even free to choose the wrong thing.
Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.




My feelings.

I have no words to describe what this book made me feel. As this is one of my favorite series, brought with all the anxiety of a year of waiting, and likewise the fear of ending to a story that I loved so much from the beginning.
I can now say, without any fear, I am very grateful for the Point of View of Hana, since being alternate with Lena gave me time to relax and to breathe deeply, because, of course, Lena's POVs were adrenalin pure, I thought I was about to have a heart attack every time I started a chapter narrated by her.

The plot.
While Lena wholeheartedly fight for the freedom to love without barriers, Hana takes us to a life of a Cured. The two views are completely different, like water and oil, yet each has something good to offer. The true meaning of love and friendship. The emptiness and falsehood of a lifetime with no feelings. The passion with which character struggle, each in their own way, to get what they want most.
Because this is a ending-series you can expect an intense conclusion, throbbing with adrenaline on every page, answers to many questions that you had one day and the ending (although not as expected) will leave you thinking about the message beyond a story where love is forbidden.

The main characters.
Lena: Many people consider the behavior of Lena as a setback in this part of the story. Lena is devastated, confused, and it would seem that this is not the strong girl found in Pandemonium, but on the other hand, we see a fighter, who is finally getting to know what love really is.
Hana: It's really good to know the life of a Cured through the eyes of Hana, because although she is a "zombie" the worldview of Delirium is totally different from what we are used by Lena. And Hana does a great job fighting those feelings that are not supposed to be there.
Alex: OHMYGOSH! Alex is great, at first glance it might not look like that, but he's still the guy who sacrificed himself to save the girl he loved. Remains strong, loyal and .... * Sigh * I can not say more, except that I would love to read more about him.
Julian: Although Julian did not win my heart in Pandemonium, after reading Requiem I have to say that he still didn't win my heart, but if he earned my respect. He's a great guy who deserves a happy ending like everyone else in this series.
Invalides / Resistance: great!

The romance.
And here's the part we all expected!
Well, the more I expected, at least... I always was and always will be Team Alex, so, have him back in this book has been one of the best things that ever happened to me, even though this is not the Alex we all remember (it seems) but from the beginning can be reflected all its pain he feels, by finding the girl that kept him alive, with someone else.
The romance is not a strong part of the book and well detailed. There are very few scenes swoon-worthy. More than anything it's about the concept of love, the various forms of love and the things you do or say when you love.
Nevertheless, I liked the romance in Requiem.


The end.

I swear, I screamed "Lauren Oliver HATE YOU!!!
Well, actually I love you, but I hate you, too"
An unexpected ending, something that leaves you screaming! (It left me crying and smiling at the same time, like a crazy). There isn't an ending that appeals to most fans, but it's a fitting end to this great work.
So, at last I will say.
I loved Requiem, and this is my favorte of the trilogy.


0 POVs:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a link to your blog so I can go say hello :)