Books are more than a words

Oct 10, 2013

My bookish Top3: Best adaptations of Greek Mythology


 
If you have been putting attention to all those new series, you certainly realized that greek myth is very popular these days. I have read a lot of books where Greek gods have a special role.
So, today for my Top3 I want to share what I think are my favorite books starring greek mythology.
Probably they're not the best of all the time. But they have been the best for me. 


1. The covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout.
This is a story about descendants of gods -pure and half blood. We can see in these books: gods like Poseidon, Hades, Apollo, furies, oracles, sentinels, etc.
 
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.



2. Everneath by Brodi Ashton.
More than a greek adaptation, this is a great love story that reminds me of the tale of Persephone. And it's placed in the Everneath - the underworld, the Hades, whatever you learned to call it.


Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her boyfriend—before she’s banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists. Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance—and the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen. As Nikki’s time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s queen.
3. Doomed by Tracy Deebs.
Like the name of the main character, this book is a modern adaptation to the story of Pandora, the woman created by Zeus to bring the evil to this world.
I've read some people didn't like this book because they didn't believe the world could be destroyed without technology. But I think that this book was a great adaptation to the story of Pandora, and since it was "fiction" for me, it was amazing!


Pandora's an average teen, glued to her cell phone and laptop, until the day her long-lost father sends her a link to a mysterious site featuring photos of her as a child. Curious, Pandora enters the site, unwittingly unleashing a global computer virus that plunges the whole world into panic: suddenly, there's no Internet. No cell phones. No traffic lights, hospitals or law enforcement. Only Pandora's Box, a virtual-reality game created by Pandora's father, remains up and running. Together with her neighbors, gorgeous stepbrothers Eli and Theo, Pandora must follow the photographs from her childhood in an attempt to beat the game and track down her father—and rescue the world. Part The Matrix, part retelling of the Pandora myth, Doomed has something for gaming fans, dystopian fans, and romance fans alike.

5

5 comments:

  1. I suck because I haven't read ANY SINGLE ONE OF THESE and I'm such a huge fan of Greek mythology! *sigh* I know without a doubt I'd probably include Rick Riordan on my list. He's probably one of my all time favourite authors.

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read the books by Rick, that's why they are not on my list. But I've heard they're awesome!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Doomed, so I'll probably add the Starcrossed trilogy in there, great adaptation with archetypes from the war of Troy and gods unhappy about things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the 1st book of Starcrossed, and though the mythology was good, I didn't like the characters. I still want to read the second. Maybe I like that better!

      Delete
  3. I'm still surprised how much I liked Everneath! I was afraid it might be cliched, but I loved it :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a link to your blog so I can go say hello :)